~

9/16/2006

Rest

Posted by Timo |

my friend Danny passed away the other day.
He was an older asian gentleman that owned a chinese resturant here called "wok-n-grill". I made all my friends go there with me over the last 7 years or so and they all loved it ( except one cranky vegetarian ) and he was always there chatting us up. He over heard UM and I talking about Mason City once and it turns out he was raised there. small world.

Anyway, we used to hang out there all the time in 2001 and danny even asked us what to get for the jukebox. so, he got us lots of madonna, kylie, pet shop boys, erasure, etc. We eventually fizzled and didn't go there as a group much but I would stop in to get take out or just to chat with Danny every few weeks.

he was a kind, generous and caring gentleman. he always had a smile and never a bad word to say about anyone ( even when he should have ) and he has a wonderful supporting cast of family that ran his resturants with him. Danny also had a positive outlook and always gave sound advice. He liked to make fun of people but it was always in a poke in the ribs, just kidding kind of way. he had a great laugh.

I last saw him a couple of months ago. He had terrible gout and arthritis and he was working in the shop closest to his home in Ballard. I was pleased to introduce him to Kyle and he was glad that I had found someone. His back was in bad shape and I hated seeing him that way. But he was glad to see me and gave me a hug and said "it's always great to see you".

When my Grandma passed away I went to shops in mason city looking for a mason city magnet for Danny but I couldn't really find one.

Steve and doug and I went into the broadway wok and grill last night and I asked his daughter how she was doing. He died wednesday of a stroke. I was amazed at how his family went on with the show.

I'm crushed.

I will miss him.

Cheers, Danny. Here's to you and Thanks for the memories.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That was a nice tribute to him Tim. I remember when you were here looking for that maget.
Hugz!

Sara said...

A very sad, but also happy, story. I'm glad your lives connected. Isn't that what we're all here for??

Anonymous said...

oh no. I am sooo sorry. I am glad that we got to meet him and have a couple of beers. He was a genuine human being and it was so sad to hear the news. My condolences. I am sorry for the loss. He was hilariuos and wonderful, Glad to have had the chance to meet him. Take care, sweets. love, amyucmkz

Subscribe