~

7/13/2006

I CAN READ

Posted by Timo |



Kyle bought me this for my birthday. I had been a fan of King's forever but felt he Had lost his way ages ago. That said, I really enjoyed this book.

"Cell" is about a "Pulse" sent through cellphones that wipes out the minds of anyone that hears it. This creates a world of "phone crazies" - the insane, zombie-like pulsed" people, and the "Normies" - the shrinking minority that managed to not hear the pulse. It's sort of a zombie story ( and you know I love zombies! ) but these zombies are actually still alive and become a mind controlling telepathic hoard who consider themselves the normal people and the normies as insane.

I had read many reviews whining about the lack of a real "wrapped up in a bow" ending. (Spoilers) Can clay revert his phone crazy son back to normal with a second blast of the now mutated pulse? Will our heroes aver regroup? Will Tom the homo even see his cat again? Can society rebuild itself? And just who the hell designed, programmed and sent out the pulse? ....I don't mind this kind of ending. I don't need everything spelled out clearly so I don't have to do anything thinking on my own.

My absolute favorite King story, "The Mist" had a similar ending. They are currently making that one into a movie and I hope they keep the original vague ending. I think "Cell" would make a great movie in the right hands.

2 comments:

Jeni Angel said...

Now you know why I hate cell phones.

Sara said...

I am actually a big fan of King's still. I have not read "Cell" yet, but I plan on it soon. My favorite King novels are, Thinner and Gerald's Game. I still see people in the corner of my room at night because of that book, dammit!

Subscribe